International Traveler Information

The 2008 International Counseling Psychology Conference welcomes attendees from all over the world.

The following international travel information is being provided to help you prepare for the conference.

Applying for a Visa and Necessary Documents

Please contact the U.S. Embassy/Consulate in your country for the most current information about applying for a visa. Visa application requirements and the process of applying may be different in each country. It is very likely that you will need to obtain a B-2 visa to come to the U.S. for the Conference. Persons admitted to the United States on a B-2 non-immigrant visitor visa are usually issued a 6-month stay. The maximum length of stay for visitor visa holders is 6 months. Even though the documents required for a visa application may vary from country to country, the package typically includes a passport, a photograph, an invitation and/or acceptance letter, an application form, fees, etc. Please plan on an interview at the Embassy or Consulate. This is required for most visa applicants. Visa applicants who need additional screening are informed during the application process. It is important to thoroughly review all information for local procedures and instructions. Please click link below for additional information.

Food Expenses

According to the U.S. General Services Administration, Domestic Per Diem Rates, meal and incidental expenses for Chicago between the dates December 1st and April 30th is $64 USD per day. However, this rate may vary according to the needs of individuals.

Other Possible Expenses

Other expenses may include visiting the various attractions in Chicago. Chicago has many attractions and sightseeing tours. Visitors may buy a Go Chicago Card that includes admission to Chicago's most popular attractions. Prices can range from $55 USD (1-day) to $143 USD (7-day). You can also visit attractions or take sightseeing tours individually. Please click link below for additional information.

Currency Exchange Rates

An exchange rate is the rate at which one currency may be converted into another, also called rate of exchange of foreign exchange rate or currency exchange rate. Please click link below for additional information.

Electrical Power

Electric power is standardized for most devices in the U.S. at 110-volt and 60 cycles or 220-volt for larger appliances.

Standard electric plugs have two flat blades and some have a third round grounding pin. Almost all power outlets in the U.S. are equipped with electrical receptacles that can accommodate either type of plug.

If you bring any electrical devices to the U.S., you may need an adaptor to fit electrical receptacles. You may also need a converter to change the voltage from 110-volts to 220-volts. Please check your electrical device for compatibility with U.S. power standards.

If you require an adapter or converter to use your device in the U.S., the conference hotel offers two solutions:

  1. Power Adapter: After check-in, dial the guest hotline at extension 4799 to request a universal plug. The cost is about $10.00 USD.
  2. Power Converter: Visit the gift shop located in the South lobby on the first floor. The cost is about $22.99 USD.

Helpful Travel Information Links